Landlord Protection® insurance

Residential rental property coverage you can count on.

Get a Quote
Your rental property is a serious investment. You may be counting on it to help fund your retirement or your children's education, and it deserves the proper protection. So if you own up to 16 total rental units, a Safeco Landlord Protection insurance policy may be for you. We insure single family homes, condo units, duplexes, triplexes, and fourplexes. Our coverage includes protection from damage as well as from certain liabilities unique to landlords such as wrongful eviction and wrongful entry lawsuits. Our experts can build the best policy for you while offering plenty of flexibility and choice. As an added benefit, our landlord coverage also gives you access to the advanced tools of TransUnion® Smartmove® for fast and easy screening of prospective tenants. Talk with an independent Safeco agent to learn more.
Landlord Protection Insurance Coverage Options
Safeco offers multiple landlord policies to address nearly every situation. Your local Safeco independent agent can help you choose the best coverage options for your investment.

+Open Perils or Named Perils Coverage-Open Perils or Named Perils CoverageOpen Perils or Named Perils Coverage
In insurance language, peril is the word used to describe a cause of loss. For example, if your rental property burns down, the cause of loss (or peril) is fire. You may also have smoke damage from the fire as well as water damage from the effort to extinguish the fire, so the perils in this case would be both smoke and water.

Named peril coverage will provide coverage only if one of the named perils you are protected against is the direct cause of your loss. Common examples of named perils include fire, vandalism, smoke, and hail. Named peril coverage is less expensive but offers less protection than open perils.

Open perils coverage, on the other hand, protects against any cause of loss that isn't specifically excluded on your policy. You're also protected against all the named perils listed in your policy for your personal property that may be at your rental property.

Your Safeco independent agent can help you select the right coverage for your situation. Please read full policy and endorsements for coverage details. Some coverages can be added for an additional premium.
+Extended Dwelling Coverage-Extended Dwelling CoverageExtended Dwelling Coverage
At the time you purchase a landlord protection policy, we will establish the amount it would take to rebuild your rental property if it's damaged beyond repair. Reconstruction cost, which is different from market value, includes expenses like debris removal, fees and permits, contractor costs, architect's fees, and other necessary expenses. Since the cost of construction material fluctuates regularly, extended dwelling coverage also gives you up to 25% more protection than the limit stated in your policy. So in the event of a major or total loss to your rental property investment, extended dwelling coverage will help pay for repair or rebuilding costs that exceed the amount covered by your policy.
+Premises Liability Coverage-Premises Liability CoveragePremises Liability Coverage
Premises liability coverage protects you and your spouse or domestic partner against bodily injury and property damage claims for which you are held legally liable. It also provides personal injury protection coverage (see details below) and pays medical costs including hospital bills and medical care expenses for guests if they are injured on your rental property.
+Protection from Personal Injury Lawsuits-Protection from Personal Injury LawsuitsProtection from Personal Injury Lawsuits
Personal injury coverage protects you and your spouse or domestic partner from tenant claims of libel, slander, wrongful eviction, wrongful entry, and invasion of privacy. Such claims are not uncommon among landlords, so it's best to be prepared. For example, if you must evict one of your tenants for a reasonable cause, and they sue you for the eviction, you must respond to the lawsuit even if it's frivolous. This coverage option helps you defend yourself and your investment in case this happens to you.
+Limited Liability Company (LLC) Coverage Options-Limited Liability Company (LLC) Coverage OptionsLimited Liability Company (LLC) Coverage Options
Establishing an LLC for ownership of your rental properties creates a barrier of protection between your rentals and your personal assets. In most states, you can extend protection to your LLC as part of your Safeco landlord policy.
+Additional Valuable Coverage Options-Additional Valuable Coverage OptionsAdditional Valuable Coverage Options

Landlord Protection Insurance Coverage Options
You can save on your landlord protection insurance premiums when you:

+Insure Your Home with Safeco-Insure Your Home with SafecoInsure Your Home with Safeco
You'll save 5% when you insure both your homeowners and landlord policies with Safeco.
+Get a Quote Before the Policy Effective Date-Get a Quote Before the Policy Effective DateGet a Quote Before the Policy Effective Date
Obtain a quote at least one day in advance of the policy effective date and you'll receive a discount on your landlord policy. Quote eight or more days in advance of the policy effective date and you'll receive an even bigger discount.
+Choose a Higher Deductible-Choose a Higher DeductibleChoose a Higher Deductible
A higher deductible will lower how much you pay for landlord insurance by shifting part of a loss payment to you. For example, if you have a $500 deductible, you'll pay the first $500 of a loss out of your own pocket. A higher deductible will lower your landlord insurance bill, but will also increase how much you'll end up paying yourself if you file a claim.
+Pay Your Bill in Full-Pay Your Bill in FullPay Your Bill in Full
If you pay your bill in full when you start or renew a policy, instead of paying in monthly installments, you'll end up paying less in the long run.
Frequently Asked Questions
My family owns a second home that we rent out. Is Safeco Landlord Protection Insurance right for me? Yes. Safeco Landlord Protection insurance is designed for landlords just like you.

I own a small building with four apartments and retail space on the ground floor. Is Safeco Landlord Protection Insurance right for me?
Safeco Landlord Protection insurance is intended for non-commercial residential properties. The retail space makes the building mixed-use, which is not a type of property Safeco Landlord Protection insurance covers.

We own a second home that we use as a rental. Is Safeco Landlord Protection insurance right for us? Absolutely! This coverage is specifically designed to protect landlords like you. Safeco is one of the top providers of landlord insurance in the U.S. and covers residential rentals up to four units. This includes single family homes, condo units, duplexes, triplexes, and fourplexes. This coverage protects you from damage to the dwelling and from certain types of liability unique to landlords such as wrongful eviction, wrongful entry, and invasion of privacy claims.

What's the maximum number of rentals I can own and still get Safeco insurance? In most states, Safeco will insure you if you own a maximum of 16 rental units. A duplex, for example, counts as two units. Safeco landlord coverage combines elements of commercial and personal insurance to give you the best possible protection.

I own a small apartment building with retail space on the ground floor. Can I get coverage with Safeco? No. Safeco Landlord Protection insurance applies to non-commercial residential properties only. We do not cover mixed-use buildings or those used for retail or other commercial businesses.

I’m currently between tenants. Will Safeco write my policy? To be eligible for a Safeco policy, all units should be occupied by a tenant. However, there are exceptions, so talk with your local independent agent about your options. For example, if you're doing a light renovation between tenants, like painting or re-carpeting, you may be eligible to insure your rental with Safeco.

I regularly buy and "flip" rental properties. Is Safeco right for me? Not at this time. Safeco's coverages are designed for landlords who plan to own the investment for a while, not for those investing in speculative properties.

I own a duplex in which I live in one unit and rent the other one. Is there a landlord policy for my situation? Safeco's landlord protection policy is for dwellings occupied only by tenants. If you're living at the residence, you would insure your home with a Safeco homeowners policy. Your local Safeco agent can advise you on additional coverages you should consider in this case including personal offense or landlord’s furnishings.

Are there any types of houses Safeco won’t insure with a landlord policy? Safeco is a great choice for rental properties made of standard, stick-built construction. We do not insure mobile or manufactured homes, homes listed in a historic registry, homes with open foundation construction, homes with farming exposures, or older homes with outdated electrical wiring. Contact your local independent agent to discuss the construction details of your rental property.

Find a Local Independent Agent
A local independent Safeco agent can help you discover the landlord insurance coverage you need to fit your unique situation.
1Qualifications and conditions apply. Eligibility may vary by state.
2Availability varies by state.Terms and conditions apply.
3Availability varies by state. Terms and conditions apply.