in the community
Making a difference through service and philanthropy.
- Educational opportunity for underprivileged youth.
- Ensuring security through life-saving basic services to homeless men, women and children.
- Promoting accessibility for individuals of all abilities.
- Clearly defined goals and expectations.
- Solid financials.
- Strong board and staff.
- Thoughtful strategic plans and budgets.
The Safeco Insurance Fund funds organizations and programs that serve the State of Washington.
Education: The Safeco Insurance Fund gives priority to educational programs that encourage disadvantaged youth to excel academically and create opportunities for life-long success through learning.
Health and Human Services: The Safeco Insurance Fund supports organizations and programs that are committed to improving the quality of life and safety in our communities.
Youth: The Safeco Insurance Fund invests much of its funding in youth. Priority is given to programs serving children and teenagers.
Low-Income Families and Individuals: The Safeco Insurance Fund favors organizations and programs that create opportunities for self-sufficiency for low-income individuals and families.
People with Disabilities: The Safeco Insurance Fund favors organizations and programs that accommodate people of all abilities – without restrictions or limitations – as they pursue their goals in education, health, housing, employment and all other activities of daily life.
For programs serving children and youth with disabilities, areas of interest include early intervention, K-12 education, health care, family resources and support, assistive technology, out of school time and cross-cutting issues, such as bullying, inclusion, mentoring, and transition to adulthood. In addition, the Safeco Insurance Fund invites proposals to enhance efforts to prepare youth with disabilities for the workplace.
Types of Support
General Operating Support: General operating funds are considered for agencies whose missions closely align with the mission of Safeco Insurance Fund.
Program Support: Organizations with missions that are not educational or health- and safety-related are encouraged to request specific project funding relevant to the programmatic thrust and priorities of our philanthropy program.
Safeco Insurance Fund does not provide philanthropic support for:
- Foundations that are primarily grant-making agencies.
- Organizations requesting funds for sectarian activities.
- Fraternal, social, labor, or political organizations.
- Trips, tours, and transportation.
- Deficit spending or debt liquidation.
- Conferences, forums, or special events.
- Organizations that have applied within the past 12 months.
- Non-functionally integrated supporting organizations as classified by the IRS.
The goal of the initiative is to improve the educational achievements and opportunities for disadvantaged youth in our communities, and to locate and support educational programs that build on prior academic successes. The Safeco Insurance Fund aims to achieve these goals by:
- Expanding academic opportunities for low-income and limited English proficient (LEP) students by funding:
- Out-of-school time educational programs
- Extended learning in-school programs
- Vocational and technical-training programs
- Programs that emphasize and highlight the path to further education
- Supporting elementary programs that seek to prevent an achievement gap by employing results-based curricula and focusing on basic literacy and/or numeracy.
- Broadening educational options for LEP students by increasing the number and quality of programs in Washington and Oregon that provide English language instruction, especially those organizations that exhibit a special focus toward children and adolescents.
- Supporting programs that create pathways for older youth to re-engage with the educational system. This includes youth who have abandoned school prior to completion and youth who have attained a high school diploma or GED but have not progressed to higher education or training.
The Education Initiative operates on a two-year cycle. Grantees selected through the RFP will receive a commitment for two years of funding.
How to Apply
The most recent application period is currently closed. The next Education Initiative RFP will be released in April 2017.
Email the .
Basic Services Initiative applicants are evaluated on the following criteria (in no specific order):
- Relevance: The grant applicant's mission and intent must closely follow the guidelines set forth in the application.
- Program Quality: Applicants must thoroughly demonstrate the effectiveness of their program(s) in assisting individuals and families in need of emergency services.
- Organizational Capacity: Priority will be given to organizations that can demonstrate a thoroughly established internal capacity for reaching individuals experiencing homelessness.
- Cost-Effectiveness: A budget for the program should demonstrate a cost-effective use of resources.
- Past Performance: The Safeco Insurance Fund supports programs with a demonstrated track record of providing basic services to vulnerable populations.
The Basic Services Initiative operates on a two-year cycle. Organizations selected will receive commitments for a second year of funding.
How to Apply
Beginning in March 2016, organizations will be invited to download and review the Basic Services Initiative RFP, before submitting an online application. Only proposals submitted online will be accepted.
Email the .
Safeco employees join forces with their colleagues from Liberty Mutual to provide their time in a global employee service program called . Safeco encourages employees to select from hundreds of volunteer events happening in their area. Activities have included feeding the hungry, sprucing up public parks, planting gardens and building new homes.
Give with Liberty
Safeco employees across the country take an active role in supporting our communities by contributing to nonprofit organizations during this .
Independent Agents and Community Involvement
Independent insurance agents give back to their communities, too. Learn how Safeco supports their commitment to .