What to do when water is leaking all over your home.
File a Home Claim Online
Or call us at 1-800-332-3226
24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Track a ClaimView the status of your claim at any time in .
1. Make Safety Your First Priority
- Do not use electrical equipment or appliances while standing on wet carpet or floors.
- Never use electrical equipment that has been water damaged, even if you are using it in a dry area.
2. Stop the Leak or Drip and Prevent Further Damage
- If the water is coming from a burst or leaking pipe, try to find the closest shut-off valve and turn it off.
- If water is coming in through the roof or broken windows, try to cover as best you can with tarps or plastic sheeting.
3. Document the Damage
- Take photos and videos.
- Save all damaged items. Your claims representative may want to inspect them.
- Keep a list of temporary repairs you make.
- Save all claim-related bills and receipts.
4. Protect Your Belongings and Clean Up
- Move wet items to drier areas.
- Place aluminum foil, coasters or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove area rugs from the floor. Dyes in carpets can stain flooring, carpeting and wood floors.
- Clean up as much water as possible by mopping or blotting with towels.
- When safe to do so, use fans to circulate air and encourage drying.
5. Get It FixedAfter reporting your claim, you can use a water mitigation supplier of your choice to fix the damage, but we recommend using one of our program vendors. Talk to your claims representative about which option is best for you and how to proceed.
Helpful Water Damage Resources