Safeco Insurance Foundation
In 2009, Safeco Insurance Foundation launched its first Education Initiative awarding $500,000 to 21 community organizations. Through 2013, the foundation’s total investment in the initiative has climbed to nearly $3.5 million, with 60 different nonprofit organizations in Washington and Oregon receiving funds in support of their education programs.
The goal of the initiative is to improve the educational achievements and opportunities for disadvantaged youth in our communities, and to locate and support educational programs that build on prior academic successes. The Safeco Insurance Foundation aims to achieve these goals by:
- Expanding academic opportunities for low-income and limited English proficient (LEP) students by funding:
- Out-of-school time educational programs
- Extended learning in-school programs
- Vocational and technical-training programs
- Programs that emphasize and highlight the path to further education
- Supporting elementary programs that seek to prevent an achievement gap by employing results-based curricula and focusing on basic literacy and/or numeracy.
- Broadening educational options for LEP students by increasing the number and quality of programs in Washington and Oregon that provide English language instruction, especially those organizations that exhibit a special focus toward children and adolescents.
- Supporting programs that create pathways for older youth to re-engage with the educational system. This includes youth who have abandoned school prior to completion and youth who have attained a high school diploma or GED but have not progressed to higher education or training.
The Education Initiative operates on a two-year cycle. Grantees selected through the RFP will receive a commitment for two years of funding. In June 2013, Safeco Insurance Foundation made two-year commitments to 30 Washington and Oregon nonprofits, investing $700,000 to support the academic achievement of youth in our communities.
The next Education Initiative application period will be in April 2015.
2013 Education Initiative Awardees
- 826 Seattle, Seattle, WA
- Atlantic Street Center, Seattle, WA
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Oregon, Bend, OR
- Boys & Girls Clubs of King County, Seattle, WA
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Portland Metropolitan Area, Portland, OR
- Boys & Girls Clubs of South Puget Sound, Tacoma, WA
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Spokane County, Spokane, WA
- Catholic Community Services of King County, Seattle, WA
- City Year Seattle/King County, Seattle, WA
- Communities In Schools of Auburn, Auburn, WA
- Communities in Schools of Lakewood, Lakewood, WA
- Communities In Schools of Peninsula, Vaughn, WA
- I Have a Dream Foundation-Oregon, Portland, OR
- Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization , Portland, OR
- Impact NW, Portland, OR
- Kent Youth and Family Services, Kent, WA
- Metropolitan Development Council, Tacoma, WA
- Neighborhood House, Seattle, WA
- Outside In, Portland, OR
- Port Gamble S'Klallam Foundation, Kingston, WA
- Portland Reading Foundation, Portland, OR
- Portland YouthBuilders, Portland, OR
- Powerful Schools, Seattle, WA
- Rainier Scholars, Seattle, WA
- SE Works, Inc., Portland, OR
- Summer Search, Seattle, WA
- Team Read, Seattle, WA
- The Shadow Project, Portland, OR
- Willamette University, Salem, OR
- YMCA of Greater Seattle, Seattle, WA
How to Apply
The application period for the Safeco Insurance Foundation Education Initiative is now closed. The next Education Initiative RFP will be released in April, 2015.
Email the Safeco Insurance Foundation