Basic Services Initiative
In the spring of 2010, the Safeco Insurance Fund launched its first Homelessness Initiative with the goal of supporting nonprofit organizations that serve homeless families and individuals in need of emergency assistance. To further clarify its emphasis on basic, emergency services, in 2012 the Homelessness Initiative was renamed the Basic Services Initiative. Since 2010, the Fund has made 100 grants through this program, awarding over $1.8 million to 66 community organizations across Washington and Oregon.
See the list of 2012 Awardees
2014 Safeco Insurance Basic Services Initiative
Applicants are evaluated on the following criteria (in no specific order):
- Relevance: The grant applicant's mission and intent must closely follow the guidelines set forth in the application.
- Program Quality: Applicants must thoroughly demonstrate the effectiveness of their program(s) in assisting individuals and families in need of emergency services.
- Organizational Capacity: Priority will be given to organizations that can demonstrate a thoroughly established internal capacity for reaching individuals experiencing homelessness.
- Cost-effectiveness: A budget for the program should demonstrate a cost-effective use of resources.
- Past Performance: The Safeco Insurance Fund supports programs with a demonstrated track record of providing basic services to vulnerable populations.
The Basic Services Initiative operates on a two-year cycle. Organizations selected will receive commitments for two years of funding. An interim report, due April 30, 2015, will be required to access second year funding.
Open for Applications: February 28, 2014
Application Deadline: March 31, 2014
Interim Report Due: April 30, 2015
Final Report Due: April 30, 2016
How to Apply
Organizations should download and review the
2014 Basic Services Initiative RFP before submitting an online application. Only proposals submitted online will be accepted.
- Auburn Youth Resources, Auburn, WA
- Bethlehem Inn, Bend, OR
- Catholic Charities of Oregon, Portland, OR
- Catholic Charities of Spokane, Spokane, WA
- Clatsop Community Action, Astoria, OR
- CAPECO, Pendleton, OR
- Community Outreach, Inc., Corvallis, OR
- Community Youth Services, Olympia, WA
- Downtown Emergency Service Center, Seattle, WA
- Eastside Domestic Violence Program, Bellevue, WA
- FamilyWorks, Seattle, WA
- Food Lifeline, Shoreline, WA
- Friends of Youth, Redmond, WA
- The Giving Plate, Bend, OR
- Impact NW, Portland, OR
- Jewish Family Service, Seattle, WA
- Looking Glass Youth and Family Services, Eugene, OR
- Low Income Housing Institute, Seattle, WA
- Maple Valley Food Bank & Emergency Services, Maple Valley, WA
- Mary's Place, Seattle, WA
- Northwest Harvest, Seattle, WA
- Operation Nightwatch, Seattle, WA
- OPERATION: Sack Lunch, Seattle, WA
- Oregon Food Bank, Portland, OR
- Pike Market Senior Center, Seattle, WA
- Portland Rescue Mission, Portland, OR
- Share, Vancouver, WA
- Second Harvest, Spokane, WA
- ROOTS, Seattle, WA
- Solid Ground, Seattle, WA
- Street Youth Ministries, Seattle, WA
- The Rescue Mission, Tacoma, WA
- Thurston County Food Bank, Olympia, WA
- CARE, Tillamook, OR
- Union Gospel Mission of Olympia, Olympia, WA
- Union Gospel Mission of Spokane, Spokane, WA
- University District Service League, Seattle, WA
- Way Back Inn, Renton, WA
- Women's Resource Center of North Central WA, Wenatchee, WA
- YWCA of Spokane, Spokane, WA
- YWCA of Seattle-King County-Snohomish County, Seattle, WA
- Youthcare, Seattle, WA
E-mail the Safeco Insurance Fund with any questions.